You may monitor your device usage using Screen Time to break your smartphone addiction and to restrict access to particular features and apps. You can also create a passcode for added security to stop anyone from changing your customised settings without your consent. What would happen, however, if you lost your Screen Time passcode? Do not panic; there are trustworthy methods for recovering the Screen Time passcode on iPhone, iPad, and Mac, and they also prevent data loss. After that, let’s explore how Screen Time passcode recovery functions.
How to Restore Screen Time Passcode on iOS, iPadOS, macOS
Apple has released a highly effective Screen Time passcode recovery solution that requires iOS 13.4/iPadOS 13.4 and macOS Catalina 10.15.4 or later, allowing users to reset the Screen Time passcode on iOS and macOS without losing any data. However, even for those without the necessary iOS/iPadOS versions, there are ways to restore the forgotten Screen Time passcode. Here is an overview of each one.
Recover Screen Time Passcode on iPhone, iPad
We will start by using Apple’s Screen Time Passcode Recovery programme because it is more effective and makes the process simple. Of course, it also ensures the security of all of your data. As previously said, confirm that iOS 13.4/iPadOS 13.4 or later is installed on your device. Another thing to keep in mind is that Apple ID is connected with the Screen Time passcode recovery application. This means that before you can reset the Screen Time passcode on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, you must authenticate using your Apple ID and password.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Now, choose Screen Time.
- Next, tap on Change Screen Time Passcode. You will need to select the Change Screen Time Passcode option again to proceed.
- Now, select Forgot Passcode.
- Up next, enter your Apple ID and password used to set up Screen Time on your device.
- Finally, enter a new Screen Time passcode and verify it.
Recover Screen Time Passcode on Mac
On macOS, recovering the Screen Time passcode is also easy. Once more, in order to recover the Screen Time passcode, you must verify using your Apple ID and password. Additionally, confirm that macOS Catalina 10.15.4 or later is installed on your device.
- Click on the Apple Menu in the top left corner of the screen and select System Preferences.
- Now, click on Screen Time.
- Next, select Change Passcode.
- Following this, click on Forgot Passcode.
- Up next, you would be asked to enter your Apple ID and password that were used to set up the Screen Time passcode on your Mac.
- Once done, enter a new Screen Time passcode and confirm it.
The new Screen Time passcode will be automatically updated on all devices associated with the same Apple ID if you have the Share Across Devicesfeature enabled. The passcodes on all your devices won’t need to be reset, so that’s good news.
Recover Screen Time Passcode for Children on iPhone, Mac
For a child’s iPhone and iPad, the process for resetting the Screen Time Passcode is a little different. Remember that the passcode reset option won’t show up on your child’s device if you are using Family Sharing to administer their account. Your child’s Screen Time passcode must be reset via the family organizer’s device.
Go to the Settings app and select Screen Time on the family organizer’s mobile device. After that, select the child’s name under Family by scrolling down. Next, select the option once more after tapping Change Screen Time Passcode. Your Face ID, Touch ID, or device passcode may be required for authentication. Enter a new Screen Time passcode after that, then enter it again to confirm.
The same can be accomplished on a Mac by choosing the child’s name from the drop-down menu in the left sidebar (under System Preferences) and then carrying out the procedures outlined in the previous section.
Other Ways to Recover Screen Time Passcode
There’s no need to freak out if your iPhone or iPad isn’t running iOS 13.4 or later. Your Screen Time Passcode is still retrievable.
Restore iPhone or iPad from an Encrypted Backup Using Finder/iTunes
You can restore your iPhone or iPad from an encrypted backup to change the Screen Time passcode. Remember that it will erase all of the current data on your device. Therefore, be cautious to backup your iPhone before. Additionally, disable Find My iPhone/iPad by accessing the Settings app, Profile, Profile, and Find My.
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer and launch Finder (macOS Catalina or later)/iTunes.
- Now, select your device. After that, click on Restore iPhone/iPad.
- A popup will appear asking you whether or not you want to back up your device before going for the restore. Choose Back Up, if you haven t done it as yet. Else, go with the Don t Back Up option.
- Once the firmware update is completed, you can choose the preferred backup to restore your device. Be sure to select the encrypted backup you had made before you forgot your screen time passcode.
Erase All Content and Settings
Even though wiping all material and settings is not the best option, it consistently allows you to reset the Screen Time passcode. However, be aware that it will remove all of the current data, including messages, notes, movies, music, and more. Also keep in mind that since your backup will have the passcode on it, you won’t be able to restore it either.
- Do not forget to back up your device via iTunes/Finder or iCloud (Settings app -> Profile -> iCloud -> iCloud Backup) to keep your personal data safeguarded.
- Once you have backed up your device, head over to the Settings app -> General -> Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Once your device has been erased, follow the setup assistant to set up your device.
Use Third-Party Tools to Recover Screen Time Passcode
You may find your Screen Time passcode using a variety of third-party programmes. Therefore, if your device is not running the most recent versions of iOS or macOS and you do not want to go through the time-consuming process of resetting the Screen Time passcode, I would advise you to check out a few trustworthy tools, such as iPhone Backup Extractor (free; in-app purchases available) and Tenoshare 4uKey (Free, offers in-app purchases).
We’ll think about the iPhone Backup Extractor. It makes the procedure quite easy.
- Just connect your device to your computer and open the software. After that, choose your device in the sidebar.
- Now, click on the Utilities tab and select Screen Time. After that, you will be asked to disable Find My iPhone/iPad (Settings > Profile > iCloud > Find My) if it s enabled on your device. Now, click on Recover to retrieve the Screen Time passcode.
Recover Screen Time Passcode on iPhone, iPad, Mac Securely
The end! These therefore are the effective methods for recovering the Screen Time passcode on an iPhone, iPad, or Mac. You may easily get the passcode back if your device is compatible with iOS 13/macOS Catalina. Use the encrypted backup to restore the passcode in case your device is incompatible with Apple’s Screen Time Passcode Recovery application. Additionally, you can use tools provided by third parties to find the passcode.
I hope you’ve found this information to be useful. Do you have any queries or suggestions for us? If so, please do so in the space below the video.