Operating systems have always had a startup sound that is instantly recognisable as the OS version. Microsoft decided to reinstate startup sound in Windows 11 after teasering the coming of a new launch sound with a lo-fi remix of all Windows startup sounds to date. If you haven’t heard it yet, click here to listen to the new, calming Windows 11 startup sound. Here’s how to turn off the startup sound in Windows 11 if you don’t like it or would rather have your computer wake up quietly.
Disable Startup Sound in Windows 11 (2022)
In Windows 11, there are three ways to turn off the starting sound. Naturally, using the Settings programme is the simplest way to turn off the startup sound in Windows 11. After that, let’s discuss how to really do that.
Disable Windows 11 Startup Sound from Sound Settings
- Open the Settings app using the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut Win+I , switch to the Personalization tab from the left sidebar, and choose Themes .
2. Select Sounds from the Themes settings screen.
3. Uncheck the Play Windows Startup sound option when the Sound dialogue box appears. When you turn on the computer, Windows 11 will no longer play the new startup sound.
Stop Windows 11 Startup Sound from Group Policy Editor
Through the Group Policy Editor, Windows 11 launch sound can also be turned off. While the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is by default available in Windows 11 Pro, Enterprise, and Education versions, you can choose to enable it on Windows 11 Home Edition by following the instructions in our linked guide. So with that in mind, here’s how to do it:
- Press the Windows key, type run , and click Open from the search results.
2. Type gpedit in the Run box that appears.
and then click OK.
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon
3. Next, click twice on the Turn off Windows Startup sound option in the right pane by going to the following path.
Turn Off Windows 11 Startup Sound from Registry Editor
4. Select Enabled in the pop-up window that displays, and then click OK or Apply to confirm the changes. When you restart your computer after doing that, the Windows 11 startup sound will no longer be audible.
1. Click Open after pressing the Windows key and typing regedit into Windows Search.
2. Select DisableStartupSound in the right pane by double-clicking on it on the path depicted below.
Easily Silence Startup Sound in Windows 11
3. The value data will be initialised to 1 by default.