Users frequently become upset by the bothersome problem of screen flickering. You’ve come to the right place if you recently updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11 or are experiencing screen flickering on a new Windows 11 computer. We have outlined the main reasons why screen flickering occurs on Windows computers and provided some helpful fixes to assist you in resolving the issue.
What Causes Screen Flickering in Windows 11?
Incompatible programmes and out-of-date graphics drivers are the main causes of screen flickering. In this post, we’ve covered all the potential reasons your Windows 11 computer’s screen can flicker as well as how to correct them. If there is not a hardware issue, some simple troubleshooting techniques can be used to stop the screen from flickering. Restarting the computer, altering the screen refresh rate, and reconnecting wires are all included. For all potential solutions to stop screen flickering in Windows 11, continue reading.
Methods to Fix Screen Flickering in Windows 11 (2021)
Check the Cables of Your Monitor
The simplest way to fix screen flickering in Windows 11 is to verify that the display wire is connected to your monitor properly before doing any troubleshooting steps. You might try unplugging and reconnecting the display to your computer. Check the hinge of your laptop if you’re using one; it could be the source of your screen flickering.
Change Accent Color and Background to Fix Windows 11 Screen Flickering
When you allow Windows 10 to choose the accent colour from your wallpaper, it is known to result in issues with screen flickering. Unfortunately, Windows 11 still has this problem, thus if you want to stop the screen from flickering with Windows 11, you should avoid using automatic accent colour. If you utilise slideshow wallpapers, this technique is useful. To disable automatic accent colours and slideshow wallpapers, take the following actions:
1. Use the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut Win+I to launch Settings, then navigate to the Personalization option in the left sidebar. To access the personalisation settings, click Colors now.
2. On this settings screen, select Manual under Accent colour. You are now prepared, and this repair should hopefully address Windows 11 screen flickering difficulties.
3. If that still doesn’t work, you could try turning off the Slideshow wallpaper option. Click on Background under Personalization settings to turn off the slideshow wallpaper setting.
4. Select a picture or a solid colour for the background by clicking on the dropdown menu to the right of Personalize your background. In other words, if you have weird screen flickering on Windows 11, you should disable slideshow backgrounds.
Disable Animation Effects to Solve Screen Flickering in Windows 11
Disabling the animation effects on your Windows 11 computer is another potential solution for the screen flickering problem. The steps to disable animation effects in Windows 11 are listed below:
- Open the Settings app and switch to the Accessibility section from the left sidebar. Then, click on Visual effects to access animation effects settings.
2. At this point, all you need to do is toggle off the Animation effects switch. You’re done now. Use your Windows 11 computer to see if the screen flickering problem persists. If this didn’t solve the issue, try the additional solutions listed below.
Disable Hardware Acceleration to Fix Screen Flickering in Chrome
Users claim that turning off hardware acceleration solves the screen flickering problem. The procedure to turn off hardware acceleration in Google Chrome is described in full in this guide. You can follow the instructions in this tutorial to turn off hardware acceleration in Firefox and Edge.
1. After starting the Chrome browser, select Settings by clicking the vertical menu symbol in the upper right corner.
2. From the left sidebar, select Advanced options, then select the System tab. Disable the Use hardware acceleration when available toggle.
Update Display Drivers to Resolve Windows 11 Screen Flickering
You may now restart Chrome to stop experiencing screen flickering.
If none of the aforementioned suggestions worked to resolve the issue, you might try the tried-and-true troubleshooting technique of updating drivers. You should upgrade the display and graphics drivers in this situation to resolve the screen flickering problem. Here’s how to upgrade your Windows 11 graphics drivers.
1. Utilize the keyboard shortcut for Windows 11
To launch Device Manager, press Win+R to bring up the Run window and typedevmgmt.msc.
2. Click the PC’s graphics card with the right mouse button after expanding the Display Adapterssection. Select the Update driver option from the dialogue box that opens to update your display drivers.
Uninstall Incompatible Apps to Stop Screen Flickering
3. When the pop-up window opens, you can decide whether to manually find and instal the necessary drivers from your PC or to let the computer automatically search the Internet for them. Additionally, you might use the Windows Update page’s Optional updates area of the Settings app to check for driver updates.
- Open the Settings app, switch to the Apps section from the left sidebar, and click on Installed apps to view a list of all the apps you have installed on your PC.
The procedures listed above emphasise the typical way to update graphics drivers. Check out our comprehensive guide on updating drivers on Windows for drivers specific to well-known OEMs like HP, Dell, Asus, and more.
On your Windows 11 computer, there’s a potential that a recently installed incompatible app is to blame for the screen flickering problem. To remove the flickering, we advise you to try deleting any apps you installed recently. Here’s how to remove applications from Windows 11:
Adjust Refresh Rate to Fix Windows 11 Screen Flickering
2. Select the Last installed option from the Sort by dropdown box to make it simpler to find the app you just installed.
3. Next, select Uninstall from the option that appears when you click on the three dots next to each app’s name to get rid of it from your Windows 11 computer.
1. Launch the Settings application and select Display.
Fix Screen Flickering on Windows 11
2. Find the Advanced display setting under Related settings by scrolling down.