Minecraft uses its tools and weapons in a slightly frustrating way compared to most video games. No matter how powerful they are, every weapon in Minecraft ages with use. To put it another way, your equipment isn’t strong enough to last throughout your gameplay. You must gather materials and recreate a weapon every time its durability expires. Doesn’t that sound exhausting? Limited durability seems cruel if you had to find Netherite in Minecraft to re-craft your gear. Thankfully, we’ve got you covered. In Minecraft, all you need to do is figure out how to acquire the mending enchantment, and your tools will essentially last forever. One of the best Minecraft enchantments is one that you need to use on all of your equipment. After saying that, let’s move on to learning how to obtain and use mending enchantment in Minecraft.
Mending Enchantment in Minecraft: Explained (2022)
Mending is a special enchantment that takes effort from the player to activate. Therefore, in order to cover every aspect of this potent enchantment, we have divided our guide into different sections. The table below can be used to browse the topics.
What Does Mending Do in Minecraft
Your items’ durability is restored by mends, as the name implies. They will still lose durability when used once more, but you can easily regain it by applying the mending enchantment. It is one of the most common enchantments in the game that you can apply to every item that has durability in Minecraft.
What Items Can You Put Mending On
You can apply the mending enchantment on the following items within Minecraft:
- Fishing Rod
- Flint and Steel
- Carrot on a Stick
- Warped Fungus on a Stick
- Turtle Shell
Do keep in mind that you can t apply mending on any item that already hasinfinity enchantmenton it. Both of them are incompatible due to similar functionality.
How Does Mending Work in Minecraft
Certain activities like breeding, killing mobs, and breaking specific blocks dropsexperience orbsin the game. Mending is directly related to collecting these experience orbs. Each time you collect experience in the game, your gear with mending enchantment gets itsdurability restored.
Rules for Mending in Minecraft
The process of Mending in Minecraft works on the basis of the following principles:
- This enchantment repairs the items when they are in players hands (main or offhand) or their armor slots. In other words, mending only repairs equipped items.
- It ignores the items that are already at their maximum durability.
- Each experience orb point repairs two durability points.
- Lastly, if there is no item left to repair, the experience orbs get added to the player s experience level as usual.
What Happens If You Have Multiple Items with Mending
If you have equipped multiple items with mending enchantment, thenthe game selects and targets one randomly. You can t control its choice, but it follows these rules:
- Irrespective of their level of damage, the selection doesn t prioritize any item. However, mending does ignore items that are at their full durability.
- While experience is getting collected, it only goes towards one selected item. So, even if there is experience left over, it won t go towards repairing another item. Instead, Minecraft adds all leftover points to the player s experience bar.
How to Get Mending Enchantment in Minecraft
Now that you know how mending works, it s time to discover how to get the mending enchantment in-game. Unfortunately, mending is a treasure enchantment. If you didn t already know, treasure enchantments can t be applied using anenchanting table. Instead, you have to look for enchantment books with mending enchantment. You can find enchanted books with mending in the following situations:
- Trading with librarian villager at any level.
- Looting chest loots in the overworld and the Nether. Strongholds have the highest chances of spawning with chests with enchanted books.
- Fishing in water bodies around the overworld. Thunderstorms are the best weather for fishing in Minecraft.
- Pillager raids also have mobs that drop enchanted books when killed. But this is exclusive to the Bedrock edition.
Among these options, trading with alibrarian villageris the most reliable way to get mending in Minecraft. You can use ourbest Minecraft village seedsto find a suitable village easily. Alternatively, you can alsobreed villagersto get a librarian manually for better trades.
Command to Obtain Enchanted Book with Mending
You can also use the following command to obtain an enchanted book with mending enchantment:
/give @p enchanted_book
Alternatively, you can use this command to directly obtain an item enchanted with the mending enchantment.
How to Use Mending Enchanted Book in Minecraft
You canreplace the diamond_swordpart in the command with any other in-game item. Both of these commands work on the Java edition. We have tested them onMinecraft 1.18.2.
Once you find an enchanted book with mending enchantment, you can use it on any eligible item with ease. Follow these steps to do so:
1. To begin,craft an anvilby using 3 iron blocks and 4 iron ingots with the following recipe on acrafting table.
Get Mending Enchantment Without Books
2. Then, place the anvil on a solid block and use right-click or secondary action key to access it. Also, make sure you have at leastlevel 1in your experience bar to apply mending enchantment.
- Looting end cities in the end dimension
- Killing mobs with enchanted items
3. Finally, place theitem you want to enchantin the left cell of the anvil and theenchanted book in the middle cell. Then, within no time, the book will be consumed, and your enchanted item will be ready for use.
Combine Enchanted Items
If you re unable to find an enchanted book with mending, you can alsolook for already enchanted items. Such items can be commonly obtained by:
The best way to find mobs with enchanted items is toset up a mob farm in Minecraft. You can use one to kill mobs to collect experience, and hopefully, some enchanted items with mending on them.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you find an enchanted item that has the mending enchantment on it, you can combine it with a copy of that same item. So, if you have a diamond sword with mending and a diamond sword with another enchantment, you canuse an anvil to combinethe two.
The combined item will consume the original two items, and it will have the enchantments from both of those items. But since mending is incompatible with infinity, you can t combine these enchantments even with an anvil.
Q. Can You Get Mending from Enchanting a Book?
Mending is a treasure enchantment, so you can t use the enchanting table to manually get mending on books or any other item in the game. Instead, you have to look for naturally spawning enchanted books.
Q. What Is the Fastest Way to Get Mending?
Fishing is usually the fastest way to obtain enchanted books with mending enchantment. But trading with a librarian villager can be much more effective if you spawn at the right place and have enough resources.
Q. How to Increase the Chances of Getting a Mending Enchantment?
If you are fishing, you can use theluck of sea III enchantmenton your fishing rod. It will increase the chances of you catching a rare loot. Thus, you will have higher chances of getting enchanted books with mending enchantment.
Q. How Rare is a Book of Mending in Minecraft?
As per tests by Minecraft players, the chances of getting an enchanted book with mending enchantment are only0.8%.
Q. Can a Level 1 Villager Have Mending?
Librarian villagers ofall levelscan offer enchanted books with mending enchantment.
Q. Which is the Best Place to Find Mending Enchantment?
Chest in theancient citiesand strongholds libraries have high chances of having enchanted books. You can get mending enchantment in Minecraft in the chests of these locations.
Use Mending Enchantment in Minecraft Today
Q. How to Reset a Libraian Villager?