Hide Online Status and Last Seen on WhatsApp (2022)
This guide includes step-by-step instructions and illustrations on how to disable WhatsApp’s last seen and online statuses. You can even utilise the unauthorised function we’ve introduced to WhatsApp Web to hide your online status. Check out the method that best suits your needs using the table below.
How to Hide Last Seen on WhatsApp (Android)
You must first figure out how to disable WhatsApp’s last seen status before you can hide your online status in the messaging service. And this is how that procedure goes:
1. Start WhatsApp, then click the ellipses (three dot) icon in the top right corner. Then choose Settings from the menu.
2. Then, access the last seen status option by going to Account -> Privacy.
3. Select the Online Privacy and Last Seen settings. Then, to prevent anyone from knowing when you were last online on the messaging app, choose Nobody under the Who can see my last seen option.
If you want to display the last seen time for specific contacts in your contacts list, you can also use the My contacts except.. option.
How to Hide Online Status on WhatsApp (Android)
You may now pick who can see whether you are online or not on WhatsApp after learning how to hide the last seen time on your account. Here’s how to appear offline to everyone on WhatsApp while yet being able to text anybody you want:
Only WhatsApp beta testers on Android and iOS currently have access to the option to hide your online status. On the OnePlus 9RT running Android 12.1, we used WhatsApp version 22.214.171.124 for the purposes of this guide.
You can now find a new option called Who can see when I’m online on the same settings page as the Last Seen status. All you have to do is choose “Same as last seen here.”
Additionally, if you chose Nobody for your Last Seen status, no one will be able to see that you are online in the WhatsApp chat window. No one will be able to spy on your online message activities and wonder why, despite the fact that you are active, you are not responding to them.
How to Hide Last Seen on WhatsApp (iPhone)
Let’s have a look at how to do it since the procedures for disabling the last seen status in Meta’s messaging app on iPhone and Android are essentially the same:
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone and tap on Settings in the bottom navigation bar. Then, move to the Account settings.
2. Next, go to Account settings > Privacy > Last Seen & Online.
Notably, WhatsApp beta versions are now the only ones with the Last Seen & Online options and the ability to hide them. On your smartphone, the only option available is to turn off Last Seen.
3. Finally, to hide your WhatsApp activity, choose Nobody from the Who Can See My Last Seen menu. Now, other users won’t be able to see when you last used the chat app or went online.
How to Hide Online Status on WhatsApp (iPhone)
You must choose the Same as last seen option under the Who may see when I’m online portion of the privacy settings, much as the Android settings.
Note: We tested this feature on WhatsApp beta version 126.96.36.199 on an iPhone 11 running iOS 16 because it is currently only accessible to beta testers.
How to Hide Last Seen and Online on WhatsApp PC
Additionally, as you can see in the screenshot, WhatsApp warns users that if they disable their own last seen and online options, they will no longer be able to view the status of other users.
Hide Last Seen Status on WhatsApp Web
There is no need to fear if you use WhatsApp Web to interact with friends and family because you can disable your last seen and online status there as well. Here’s how to conceal the last seen status on a Mac, Linux, or Windows computer:
1. Similar to the Android and iPhone versions, WhatsApp Web offers an official method to turn off the last seen status. Open the web app, select Settings from the dropdown menu by clicking the three dots (ellipses) symbol.
2. After that, select Privacy from the Settings menu.
3. Next, choose the “Last Seen” privacy setting.
Hide Online Status on WhatsApp Web
4. To stop sharing the precise moment you last accessed WhatsApp to check your messages, choose Nobodyunder the Last Seen setting, like we did in the Android and iOS sections.
5. Although WhatsApp’s web version does not currently officially support hiding your online status, you can work around this by using a third-party solution for the time being. So let’s examine its operation.
6. First, get the Chrome Web Store’s WA Web Plus for WhatsApp plugin (visit). It is a well-liked Chrome addon with 21,000 ratings and an outstanding 4.6 rating. To add the extension to Chrome, click the Add to Chrome icon.
7. After installing the extension, select WA Web Plus for WhatsApp from the drop-down menu by clicking the Extension icon to the right of the address bar.
8. At this point, the extension settings will appear. To appear offline when chatting, turn on the Hide online status (Invisible Mode) option under the Enhancements menu. For even more privacy on WhatsApp, you can enable the Hide typing status setting.
You will appear online for a brief period of time after opening WhatsApp Web on your desktop because it takes a few seconds for the extension to become active. We advise you to take a moment to think before you begin composing messages to your contacts.
Frequently Asked Questions
The end of that. When you use the messaging app, the Online flag next to your contact name is hidden. If you enable the aforementioned feature and exclusively communicate through the web app, they won’t even notice the typing indicator.
Are they talking to someone if they are online on WhatsApp?
Although a contact’s online status under their name indicates that they are using WhatsApp right now, it does not necessarily imply that they are conversing with anyone. They could have simply left their phone’s messaging app open. Or it can involve updating your status, setting up WhatsApp’s fingerprint lock, and other activities.
Can I use WhatsApp to disguise my online status?
Learn How to Appear Offline on WhatsApp
You can hide your online status on WhatsApp in addition to disabling your last seen status. This means you can use the texting service without being concerned that others will discover you use WhatsApp.