Origin is Electronic Art’s digital distribution channel, and it is frequently used by customers worldwide to buy video games and play online multiplayer games. Digital distribution services like Origin and Steam emphasise on convenience by enabling you to buy your favourite games from the comfort of your home as analogue media dies off. The fact that you have to wait for the entire game to download before you can play is a drawback of using these platforms. You might have to wait for days to download a game if your internet connection is slow. However, even if you have a high-speed internet connection, what if the platform you’re utilising is restricting the download speed? According to countless users around the world, Origin is notorious for limiting download speeds. But there is a workaround, and it involves starting Origin in R&D mode. Without further ado, let’s look at how you can use Origin’s R&D mode to speed up downloads:
Creating Configuration File For Origin R&D Mode
The desktop client for Origin is available for both Windows and macOS. You may easily download the most recent version of the client from here if you haven’t done so already. To make Origin R&D mode function, you must write a configuration file. Simply carry out the actions listed below to finish it:
I’m using my Windows 10 laptop to demonstrate this method, but it should work similarly on a Mac as well.
- Open Notepad on your computer and type the following lines exactly how its shown below:
[connection] EnvironmentName=production [Feature] CdnOverride=akamai
- Now, simply click on File -> Save As in order to save what you ve typed in. We ll be saving the file under a different name and format as well.
- For the file name, type in EACore.ini as shown below, and make sure you choose All Files for the Save as type as shown in the screenshot below. You have to save this INI file on your desktop.
- Once done, open the Origin desktop client. You will receive a pop-up on your screen asking if you d like to Use Configuration File On Desktop . Click on Yes.
- Now, you ll be taken to Origin s Sign In page. If you ve done the above steps correctly, you ll notice that Origin is now running in R&D mode production by simply looking at the top of the Origin client s window.
That is all there is to it. Why are you holding out? Download your preferred games now to experience the speed difference right away. You won’t be limited to Origin’s throttled download speeds anymore; instead, you can now download at the fastest pace your internet connection will allow.
Download Speed in Origin: Before vs After
We wanted to demonstrate to you how much faster we were now running, and it’s definitely evident. The WiFi at our office typically has a speed of 8 to 16 Mbps. However, the findings will differ from person to person and are not necessarily indicative of a high speed internet connection. Well, we were attempting to download Battlefield 1 CTE at roughly 215 KB/s prior to using R&D mode. Since the file size was close to 47 GB and it was difficult to see, it was clear that we couldn’t handle it. So, after enabling R&D mode, we rebooted Origin and observed a dramatic increase in speed right away. In comparison to what we were getting before the R&D mode, our download speed increased to around 1.5 MB/s, an almost 7-fold increase. If you have a fast internet connection, unlike us, you might see a far greater improvement in your download speeds.
HOW TO ADDITIONALLY IMPROVE PS4 DOWNLOAD SPEED
Download At Full Speeds in Origin using R&D Mode
We’re quite sure there’s no turning back once you start using Origin in R&D mode. Who wants to experience slow download speeds to begin with? We sincerely hope that EA doesn’t make this tweak ineffective by addressing it in next versions to Origin. Have you utilised the R&D mode and found it enjoyable? Please let us know how this post has improved your game download speeds by leaving a brief remark in the space below.