Even though Reddit is the most popular website on the internet, it is still subject to some of the same accusations that have long dogged other social media sites like Facebook and YouTube. On Reddit, there have also been claims of privacy violations, data manipulation, and the dissemination of persistent extremist propaganda. So, if you’ve had it with Reddit, its dubious privacy policies, and the conspiracies, you have the option of permanently deactivating or deleting your Reddit account. In this article, we’ve described how to close your Reddit account.
Delete Your Reddit Account: A Detailed Guide (2021)
In this article, we’ll show you how to permanently cancel your Reddit account using either the website or the mobile (Android/iOS) app. We’ll also explain how to get a download of your Reddit data before ending things and what your account deletion will mean for your data. However, we’ll start by explaining what happens when you remove your Reddit account so you can make an informed choice.
Note:This post explains how to permanently delete your Reddit account. You can hide your online status on Reddit if you don’t want to go that far but still want greater privacy when using the site. Additionally, when using a mobile browser to access Reddit, see how to conceal the Open in App prompt.
What Happens When You Delete Your Reddit Account
Your profile will be permanently deleted from Reddit after you terminate your account. You won’t be able to access your account again because the process is irreversible. Reddit does not allow you to temporarily disable your account, unlike other social media platforms, so be quite certain before moving forward.
Reddit refers to the procedure as deactivation rather than deletion, although unlike Facebook, which makes a distinction between the two, Reddit does not.
Deactivation on Facebook is momentary, while deletion is irreversible. On Reddit, however, the deactivation procedure is permanent. That implies that, should you ever feel the urge, there is no way to revive your account.
Delete Your Reddit Account Using the Desktop Website (Windows, Mac, and Linux)
Your username will no longer be connected to any of your posts or answers once you delete your Reddit account. However, your username [deleted] will now appear in all of your previous comments on Reddit. Before you cancel your account, you can manually remove all of your Reddit posts. In the final section of this paper, we illustrated this procedure.
- Go to the Reddit website and log in with your account credentials. Now, click on your username or profile avatar at the top right corner. From the drop-down menu, select User Settings .
- Scroll to the bottom of the Settings page and click on Deactivate Account .
- Now, you will need to re-enter your account credentials (username and password) to ensure it is indeed you who is requesting the account deletion. Also, check that you understand that deactivated accounts are not recoverable . Finally, click on the red Deactivate button.
- Confirm your action by clicking the Deactivate button on the next pop-up window. Your Reddit account will now be deleted (and not deactivated) permanently.
Permanently Delete Your Reddit Account Using Mobile App (Android and iPhone)
To close your Reddit account on the desktop website, go to the instructions below:
- Open Reddit using any web browser on your phone and tap on the hamburger menu (three parallel lines) at the top-right corner. Now, go to Settings -> Account settings .
- Scroll down to the bottom of the next page and tap on Deactivate Account . Now, confirm your identity by re-entering your account credentials. Next, check that you understand deactivated accounts are not recoverable, and tap Deactivate on the Reddit website.
- Finally, confirm your action by tapping on the Deactivate button one last time to delete your Reddit account.
How to Download Your Reddit Data Before Deleting Account
It should be noted that Reddit’s mobile app does not immediately allow you to deactivate your account. On the other hand, Reddit’s mobile website makes it simple to remove your account. The procedure is essentially the same on iOS and Android. Although the tutorial’s screenshots are from an Android device, the steps are identical on an iPhone.
Reddit does not provide a simple method for downloading your account data. Instead, if you want to get all of your data from Reddit, you must get in touch with them and make that request. When compared to other websites and social media platforms like Google, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat, this is clearly in contrast. To enable customers to download their data anytime they wish, they all include automatic functions.
How to Remove All Your Posts on Reddit Before Deactivation
Check read the official documentation on the subject to learn more about how to get a copy of your Reddit data. Be aware that Reddit is required by law, at least in the EU, to give you your data in order to adhere to GDPR regulations.
- Log in to Reddit and click on your username or profile image at the top-right corner. From the drop-down menu, click Profile .
- Here, you can see all your posts, comments, and replies. Select the post you want to delete and click on the ellipsis (three-dot) icon. On the pop-up menu, select the Delete option to remove the post.
- Confirm the action by hitting Delete on the next pop-up window.
By accessing the settings section of the Reddit website, you can manually delete every one of your posts. Voici how to do it:
Note that despite receiving your confirmation, Reddit does not ensure that the post will be deleted, unlike the majority of other websites. So, if you really want to erase that post, first change it with something absurd or harmless, and then do it.
In any event, it shouldn’t matter if you neglect to remove any offensive posts. That’s because after you remove your account, your username is no longer displayed on any posts. The username is not included in posts made by removed users, as you can see below. It merely says [deleted] in its place.
Delete Reddit Account in a Few Simple Steps
With a browser extension called Nuke Reddit History, you could previously mass-delete all of your Reddit posts. Both Chrome and Firefox could use it. The Firefox add-on, however, was later taken out of the Mozilla repository. On the other hand, the Chrome add-on hasn’t been updated in over a year and is incompatible with Chrome’s most recent versions. You can check to see if it still functions on earlier versions of the browser because it is still accessible (Free) on the Chrome online store.