The last thing you want to deal with during important FaceTimecalls is background noise. The more attentive you attempt to be in such a circumstance, the more annoying it becomes. So, how can you prevent background noise from entering calls so that your conversation doesn’t end abruptly? As it turns out, Apple has created a clever function that allows you to suppress background noise from FaceTime calls. Let me demonstrate how to enable Voice Isolation in FaceTime conversations to cancel out background noise on iPhone, iPad, and Mac if the noise is disrupting your FaceTime watch party.
Isolate Background Noise in FaceTime Calls (2022)
Let’s first have a look at how Voice Isolation works in FaceTime and what devices support it before we examine how to enable the function.
How Does Voice Isolation Work in FaceTime?
In FaceTime chats, Voice Isolation uses machine learning (ML) technology to reduce background noise and give your voice priority. As a result, the background noise doesn’t interfere with your current chat.
FaceTime by default makes use of the built-in microphone on your Apple iPhone. However, if you make Voice Isolation your preferred setting, the video calling software immediately mutes background noise for all other calls.
No matter the location, the noise reduction efficiency is adequate and does a respectable job. While we were able to achieve remarkable audio quality in a relatively quiet setting, it was unable to achieve the same result in a busy setting, such as a bus stop. However, you may easily carry on the talks wherever you are.
What Devices Support FaceTime s Voice Isolation Feature?
Only Apple devices with the A12 Bionic chip (a 64-bit ARM-based system on a chip) or more recent processors can use FaceTime’s Voice Isolation function. Therefore, in order to use this function of FaceTime, you will require one of the following devices:
- iPhone SE (second-gen)
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
Does FaceTime s Voice Isolation Work with Third-Party Apps?
It does, indeed! The fact that Voice Isolation in FaceTime may be used with other apps is probably its best feature. Making their apps compatible with this functionality is entirely up to the developers, though. We can confirm that FaceTime’s Voice Isolation function is compatible with the following devices based on our own testing:
- Facebook Messenger
Enable Voice Isolation to Remove Background Noise in FaceTime Calls on iPhone and iPad
1. Open the FaceTime application on your iPad or iPhone and start a call as usual.
2. Open the Control centre at this point.
- On iPhone and iPad without a home button: Swipe down from the top right corner of the screen.
- On iPhone and iPad with a home button: Swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen.
3. After that, tap the Mic Modetile in the control center’s upper right corner.
4. There are three choices available for the following:
- Standard Mic: As the name suggests, it allows you to use the standard mic that doesn t filter out noise.
- Voice Isolation: When enabled, it isolates the background sounds and allows others in the FaceTime call to hear you clearly.
- Wide Spectrum: This microphone mode is designed to bring in every single sound into your call. Times when you want others to hear everything that s happening in your surrounding, enable this feature.
5. Select Voice Isolation from the Mic mode menu, then pick up the call again.
It’s crucial to note that supported third-party apps like WhatsApp and Zoom similarly function with Voice Isolation.
Enable Voice Isolation to Remove Background Noise in FaceTime Calls on Mac
Bring up the Control Center -> Mic Mode -> Voice Isolation once the call has been answered.
Just as simple is using FaceTime on a Mac’s Voice Isolation function. To learn how it operates, follow these steps:
Start or join a FaceTime call first. Then select Mic Mode by clicking the Control Center symbol in the top-right corner of the menu bar.
Use Voice Isolation Mic Mode to Enhance Your FaceTime Calls
2. After that, pick Voice Isolation from the list of various mic settings and pick up the call once more. There it is. The background noise in your FaceTime call has been completely eliminated.