With WhatsApp’s chat moderation tool, you may flag chats that seem off. The function aims to cut down on spam as well as hate speech and false information on the network. WhatsApp is now rolling out the ability to report specific messages in addition to contacts, although the messaging programme has long allowed users to report specific contacts. Therefore, we have put together a comprehensive tutorial on how to report WhatsApp messages to offer you a better idea of how to deal with spam, abuse, or disinformation.
Report Messages on WhatsApp: A Step-by-Step Guide (2021)
first noticed by informant WABetaInfo, Beta testing of the option to report specific texts is now taking place on WhatsApp. On WhatsApp beta versions 188.8.131.52 and newer, it is live. We have also introduced procedures to report a contact, which in turn shares five recent communications with WhatsApp, if you are not using the beta version. So without further ado, let’s get started!
Why Should You Report WhatsApp Messages?
Reporting a WhatsApp message helps the network prevent unwanted encounters. If a message is spam or objectionable in some other way, you can report it. Once you file a report, WhatsApp moderators will examine it and, if the user in question violates the company’s Terms of Service, they may even ban them.
In addition, reporting a spam message or contact does not compromise WhatsApp’s end-to-end encryption (E2EE) practise, despite recent reports to the contrary. The messaging app sends the past five messages sent by the reported contact. End-to-end encryption is not broken in any manner, and the whole conversation history is not shared.
How to Report Individual WhatsApp Messages
1. Start the chat where the potentially malicious or spam message was sent. To display further settings, long-press the message and hit the three dots menu symbol in the top-right corner.
2. Select the new Report option to continue. It’s important to note that only when you pick a single message will the Report option be available. Currently, reporting multiple messages is not supported, but the next section contains a workaround.
3. A pop-up will now display, confirming that the message will be transmitted to WhatsApp but assuring you that the designated contact will not be notified. To mark the message as potentially hazardous, click Report. By checking the Block contact checkbox on this screen’s right side, you can also decide to block the contact.
How to Report a WhatsApp View Once Photo or Video
Recently, WhatsApp introduced the View Once feature, which allows users all around the world to exchange disappearing images and videos. When you have finished viewing the content, these images and videos disappear. You may easily report photographs and videos that someone has shared with you using View Once that could be sensitive or harmful. The steps are as follows:
1. To view a message only once, open a discussion window and long-press on it. In the top right corner of the screen, tap the three-dot menu icon. To share the contents of that disappearing communication with WhatsApp, choose the Report option below.
2. Tap the Report option in the pop-up message once again to confirm your choice and report the user’s View Once material.
3. As an alternative, you can also notify contacts as you watch a photo or video that is about to vanish. Simply select the Report [contact name] option by tapping the three dots in the top right corner of the screen.
How to Report a WhatsApp Contact or Spam Chat
If there are many messages in a chat that you would like to report, select to report the contact. In this manner, WhatsApp will receive the person’s most recent five messages.
1. To begin, open the chat window, select More by tapping the three horizontal dots menu symbol.
2. From the pop-up that displays, touch Report once again and press Report. By using the Block contact and delete chat boxes, you can block the contact and discontinue the communication on your end.
Extreme Measures: Block a Contact on WhatsApp
It’s time to take drastic action if you continue to get spam texts, possibly harmful content via View Once, or other problematic content even after previously reporting the WhatsApp contact and their messages. Such contacts should be blocked from WhatsApp, and this page will show you how to accomplish that:
1. To start a chat, click the three horizontal dots in the top right corner. Choose Menu from the drop-down menu, then choose Block from the menu.
2. Select “Block” from the pop-up menu that now displays. By selecting the Report and Block option, you can also decide to block the contact while still reporting them.
3. As an alternative, you can scroll down to the bottom of the page after tapping the contact’s name or phone number at the top to discover the Block option.
Report WhatsApp Messages in Easy Steps
When a communication is obviously spam, you might think about reporting it individually. To provide moderators with context for additional conversations, we advise using the report contact option to report several messages at once. It shouldn’t take long for the corporation to make the individual message reporting capability available to all customers via the stable version, given that it is now in beta. You may continue using all the best WhatsApp techniques after you’ve reported the message, including the ability to utilise WhatsApp as 2FA on Instagram.