If you’re a serious player, it’s likely that you’ve already used Steam to buy some of your favourite titles. After all, due to the enormous popularity it has amassed in the 13 years since its launch, it is regarded as the world’s top platform for the distribution of digital video games. Everyone is aware that there are a tonne of games available for purchase, but did you realise that you could use Steam to independently make money? That’s right, thanks to the Steam Community Market, you can actually make money on Steam by selling some of your prized in-game things. Your Steam wallet, which you can use to get titles from the Steam store, will receive any money you earn on the platform. Sounds intriguing, doesn’t it? Let’s look at how to sell in-game products on the Steam Community Market now without further ado:
Prerequisite Enable Steam Guard
You can’t just sell your in-game items off right away on Steam. Before you can use the Steam Community Market to buy or sell products, the platform has imposed a few limitations. Before you can access the Steam Community Market, Steam requires users to enable Steam Guard (by email or mobile authenticator) for at least 15 days. This is done to prevent someone from misusing your Steam wallet cash by fraudulently gaining your password. If you haven’t yet enabled Steam Guard on your account, just follow the instructions below to do so right away:
- Open up the Steam desktop client on your computer and log in with your account. Once done, go to Steam -> Settings located at the top-left corner of the window.
- Now, under the Account section, click on Manage Steam Guard Account Security .
- Here, you have two options. You can either choose to get Steam Guard codes by email or make use of the Steam mobile app that s available for iOS and Android devices. This app features a Steam Guard mobile authenticator where you can get all the codes. Choose your preferred option to turn on Steam Guard.
Selling In-Game Items on The Steam Community Market
You can use the Steam Community Market to sell your in-game things once 15 days have passed since you enabled Steam Guard on your account. To quickly sell your items, just follow these simple steps:
- Once you re in the Steam home page, click on Community -> Market from the main menu, in order to head over to the Steam Community Market.
- In order to start selling your stuff, click on Sell an item located in the right pane of the window.
- Now, you ll be taken to your inventory, which shows a list of all the in-game items that you have for each game individually. Depending on the item you want to sell, choose the particular game and scroll down to that specific item. Select the item and click on Sell option which is located at the very bottom.
- Once done, the next-menu will pop-up, where you ll be able to set the price of the item that you re planning to sell. Regardless of the amount you re entering, Steam charges you a fee for the transaction, and therefore, the amount you receive will always be lesser than the amount a buyer pays for the item. In order to list your item for sale, click on OK, put it up for sale .
- Steam will now ask you to confirm the selling price. Simply click on OK to confirm.
- Now, before the item is actually listed for sale, Steam will ask you to confirm the process via E-mail or the Steam Mobile app. In order to confirm it on the mobile application, head over to the App s menu and click on Confirmations . Now, the application will show the item you re about to sell. Simply check the box right next to it and click on Confirm Selected .
- Well that s pretty much all you got to do from the seller s side of things. You ll be able to view your active listing whenever you head over to the Steam Community Market, until the product is sold.
- Once someone buys the item you ve listed on the Steam Community Market, the amount will immediately be transferred to your Steam wallet, and you ll be able to check out the buyer by heading over to the Market History section.
View Related Article: How to Trade Items with Friends on Steam
Earn Money By Selling In-Game Items on The Steam Community Market
The Steam Community Market is a terrific place to utilise real money stored in the Steam wallet to buy or trade in-game things that are typically quite difficult to earn in-game. We’re not even kidding when we say that some of the in-game items advertised on the Steam Community Market can cost thousands of dollars. However, this all depends on the item’s scarcity as well as the game’s level of popularity. What are your opinions on the Steam Community Market, then? Are you hoping to make a significant profit by selling your expensive in-game items? Please share your insightful thoughts in the comments box below to let us know.