When you want your loved ones to be kept informed of your anticipated arrival time, sharing your live location is useful. Furthermore, real-time location sharing might assist you in keeping track of your child’s locations. You may simply communicate your current position with someone in an iMessage on your iPhone because of the seamless connection with Apple Maps. Additionally, if you don’t like the official iOS navigation software, you can now share your current location using Google Maps via iMessage on your iPhone. In order to set up real-time location sharing in iMessage, allow me to assist you.
How to Share Live Location with Someone in iMessage on iPhone (2021)
Since several years ago, the iPhone has supported live location sharing through iMessage. Consequently, you may still use this function even if you are using an earlier version of iOS. Google Maps recently received an upgrade that makes it possible to share real-time locations over iMessage. It’s important to note that the Google Maps app already offered live location sharing (touch the blue dot and select “Share Your Location”).
Google has introduced a coollive location sharing widget to its well-known navigation app in iMessage to make location sharing more practical. The following time you wish to inform your pals of your estimated arrival time, use the Google Maps widget in iMessage. Very cool, don’t you think?
Pre-Requisites for Sharing Live Location on Your iPhone
1. Check that Share My Location is turned on in the Find My settings on your device. Go to Settings -> Apple ID -> Find My to accomplish that. Turn the Share My Location option on now.
2. Verify that the Messages app has permission to access your location. Navigate to Privacy -> Location Services -> Messages in the Settings app after opening it. Select the While Using the App option in the Allow Location Access area for a flawless live location sharing experience. Additionally, confirm that the Precise Locationtoggle is activated.
Share Real-Time Location Using Apple Maps in iMessage on iPhone
Let’s look at how to share your current location with friends and family in iMessage if you use Apple Maps.
1. Open TheMessagesapp on your iPhone and choose your preferred thread of communication.
2. Next, tap the person’s name near the top of the screen.
3. Next, select Share My Location from the contact information page.
4. At this point, you have three things to consider:
- Share for One Hour: Choose it to share your live location for one hour.
- Share Until End of Day: Select it to share your live location with your friend until the end of the day.
- Share Indefinitely: Choose it to share your location with your friend without any limits. The contact will see your real-time location until you turn it back off manually.
5. Decide on the time frame that best suits you. Don’t forget to tap Doneat in the top right corner as well.
That’s it! You’ve been able to use iMessage on your iPhone to share your current location. You now want to immediately stop sharing your current location. To access the contacts page, simply repeat the previous steps and tapStop Sharing My Location. To confirm the change, don’t forget to hit Donat the upper right corner.
Share Live Location Using Google Maps in iMessage on iPhone
1. Ensure you have updated the navigation app because the real-time location sharing widget is available in the most recent Google Maps app. To do this, touch on your profile image in the top right corner of the App Store on your iPhone. Locate Google Maps here, then select Update. If there isn’t any available update, there will be an Open button next to it.
Make sure Google Maps can access your location as well. Find Google Maps under Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services. Select Always to give the app complete access to your location. Additionally, for a better location-sharing experience, make sure Google Maps can access your precise position.
3. Right after that, launch the Messages app and join a conversation thread. Google Maps should be available in the app drawer located above the keyboard.
Swipe from right to left on the app drawer to access the “More” option just in case Google Maps isn’t present there. Next, turn on the switch next to Google Maps by tapping the Edit button in the top left corner of the following page. To finish, press the Done button in the top left corner.
4. Next, open iMessage on your iPhone and choose Google Maps from the app drawer. After that, select Share your real-time location for an hour. Press the send button after typing a message (optional).
That’s basically it! The iMessage app now allows you to share your current location in real time via Google Maps. Please be aware that anyone who has this connection can see where you are right now.
5. You have the choice not to allow Google Maps to share your current position. Open the relevant conversation thread in the Messages app on your iOS device to achieve this. Wait a moment or two for the location sharing widget to refresh. Tap the Stop button after that.
Share Real-Time Location Using iMessage on iPhone
That’s a wrap, then! So that’s the simplest way to communicate your live position in iMessage on an iPhone utilising Apple Maps and Google Maps. It is always preferable to have a variety of options available so that you can select the one you want. Additionally, it’s fantastic that Google Maps has finally made an iMessage widget available to enable live location sharing more practical. To learn more iMessage tips & techniques, see the article that is linked. Additionally, please let us know in the comments section below if you have any questions or feedback.