Because Kodi is so adaptable and multi-platform, we love it. We eagerly anticipate the release of new Kodi versions since they bring exciting new add-ons and repositories to the table in addition to greater interaction with our favourite services, just like with Android updates. One of the biggest updates was the new Matrix build, however most people are still on the previous Leia build. Because Kodi doesn’t have an automatic update feature, users must manually update it. This comprehensive guide on how to upgrade Kodi for any device in 2021 is here to make the switch to Matrix easier and quicker.
Update Kodi on Any Device in 2021
Almost all of the popular operating systems, including Windows, macOS, Android, Chromebooks, iOS, and more, are supported by Kodi. In order to make it simple for you to traverse the content, we have created this one-stop list. With that out of the way, let’s read the article. As always, you can quickly navigate through the page and get to the section for your devices by using the table of contents below.
A dedicated VPN for Kodi should be considered if you frequently use Kodi. When downloading addons and repositories from websites that use tracking pixels, it will assist you in preserving your privacy. Your private information will always be safeguarded in this way.
Update Kodi on Windows
Because Kodi has such a large user base on the Windows platform, there is a larger community that offers assistance and works to resolve problems. And in this instance, there are several ways to update Kodi thanks to the Windows community.
Update options include using a standalone add-on, the official Kodi website, or the official Microsoft Store. We’ll go over every method in this section so you can pick the one that suits you best. So let’s start with the simplest.
Update Kodi from Microsoft Store
You did read that correctly.
You can download and update Kodi from the Microsoft Store by using the app store. There is no requirement to download an additional offline installer or to manually instal it. I like how Windows is improving and becoming quite modern in terms of app handling. So to update Kodi through the Microsoft Store, follow these steps.
Note:This method is only applicable to users who have earlier installed Kodi from the Microsoft Store.
1. Open the Microsoft Store andsearch for Kodi.
Update Kodi from the Official Kodi Website
2. Open it andclick on the Get button.
Kodi will look for new updates and will offer you the latest build, if available.
Well, most of the users are known to update Kodi through the official website. It s the traditional way everyone has been using Kodi for the past few years. However, I find updating Kodi from Microsoft Store to be the best method right now. Nevertheless, here we are going to learn how to update Kodi through its official website.
1. Open thislinkon your browser and choose the build from the menu.
2. If you are unsure about your PC s architecture, then right-click on My Computer and open Properties .
Update Kodi with a Standalone Add-on
3. Here, you will find System Type and besides that, architecture build will be mentioned either in 32-bit or 64-bit. Make note of it anddownload the matching build from the above link.
4. Next, install Kodi on top of the existing Kodi setup and click on the Yes button during the installation. Do not worry,all your add-ons and repository will be kept intact.
There is a dedicated add-on available on the official Kodi repository which can update Kodi seamlessly within the Kodi app. You just have to install the add-on and from there you canupdate to any update channel, be it stable, nightlies or dev builds. So here is how it goes.
1. Open Kodi and switch to the Add-on tab. Now,click on the search button.
2. Here, click on theSearch add-onsoption.
3. Nowtype windows installerand click on the OK button.
4. After that, click onScript- Kodi Windows Installer.
5. Nowclick on the Install button.
Update Kodi on macOS
6. Further, click on Run to start the Windows Installer.
7. Here, select the update channel of Kodi. If you want to be on the bleeding edge, choose Nightlies . Andfor the stable build, choose Stable Releases.
8. That s it. The add-on will start downloading the latest build and will update Kodi thereafter.
Since Kodi is not available on the Mac App Store, you need to downloadKodi updates on macOS from the official website. It s a pretty easy and straightforward process. Here are the steps to follow.
Update Kodi on Linux
1. Open Kodi sdownload pagefor macOS andclick on the Installer(64BIT) button. It will start downloading the latest DMG file for Kodi.
sudo apt-get upgrade kodi
2. After that, open the installer file that you downloaded and click on the Applications folder. After that,press CMD+V key into the Application folderto replace the old Kodi build.
Update Kodi on Amazon Fire TV
3. Since an old version of Kodi is already installed on your Mac, it will prompt you to replace the current Kodi. Soclick on the Replace buttonand voila, Kodi will be updated to the latest version just like that.
1. Open the Linux Terminal and run the below command.
Update Kodi on Android
2. If Kodi is on the latest version then it will show Kodi is already the newest version . And if an update is available then it will ask you to press Y to continue the update. After that, it will automatically download and update Kodi to the latest version on Linux. That s pretty simple, right?
The process to update Kodi on Amazon Fire TV is a bit longer since you need to sideload the app from another device. The steps are very identical to how weinstall Kodi on Amazon Fire TV. So you can go through the steps from the linked article and update Kodi on Fire TV easily.
Update Kodi on iOS
Anyway, to give a brief overview, you need to download the latest Kodi APK from the official website and move it to your Amazon Fire TV. After that, simply install the APK through a file manager and it will override the existing Kodi setup. And that s how you update Kodi on Amazon Fire TV.
As we already know, Kodi is officially available on the Google Play Store. So if you have installed Kodi from the Play Store, the update process is very easy. Even if you have installed Kodi APK from the official website, you can update the current build to the latest version through the Play store. Here is how to do it.
1. Open the Google Play Store, search for Kodi, and open it. If there is any new update available,it will show an Update button. Tap on it and the Play Store will start updating Kodi. That s it.
Update Kodi on Chromebook
Kodi on iOS is a sad story. Kodi is officially not available on the App Store so there are hacky workarounds that do the job for the time being. Similarly, if you want to update Kodi on your iPhone, you will have to follow the same tedious process.
For Play Store Supported Chromebooks
Since there is no proper channel to updateKodi for iOSdevices, you will have to rely on third-party app stores.
You have to go through the same process of installing Kodi from scratch to get the new, updated build.
For Chromebooks Without Play Store Support
We have made a simple guide with helpful screenshots and instructions which can help you update Kodi on iOS devices. So follow the same process and Kodi will be updated to the latest version. Keep in mind,doing so will remove all your add-ons,repos, and configured settings. As I already said, it s a sad story.
Updating Kodi onChromebookis a cakewalk if your device has Play Store support. In case your device doesn t have it, then you have to start from scratch and the process is a bit tiresome. Nevertheless, in this section, we will show you how to update Kodi on Chromebook for both types of devices.
Update Kodi on Xbox One
1. Open the Google Play Store, search for Kodi and open it.
- Open the Microsoft Store on Xbox One and search for Kodi.
- Click on the Get or Update button and it will start updating Kodi.
2. If any new update is pending,you will find the Update button, similar to Android phones. Click on it and Kodi will be updated to the latest version.
Update Kodi on Raspberry Pi
Similar to iOS devices, you will have to start from scratch. Sadly, it means thatyou will have to do a fresh installation of Kodi on your Chromebook. For your perusal, we have already made a simple guide toinstall Kodi on Chromebookfor devices that don t have Play Store support.
So follow the same steps mentioned in the above-linked article and you will have the latest version of Kodi on your Chromebook. Do note that all your add-ons, repos, and personalized settingswill be deleted with the fresh installation.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install kodi
Kodi is available everywhere and that includes the Xbox One too. If you want to update Kodi to the latest version on your gaming console then just follow these few simple steps. Since Xbox One is Microsoft s product, you canupdate Kodi through the official Microsoft Storeas well. Here is how it s done.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Which Kodi Version am I Using?
There is also a separate Xbox App Store availableon the gaming console, so you can update Kodi from there as well. The process is nearly identical to the above one.
Q. How Can I Update My Add-ons?
Since Raspberry Pi runs on Raspbian, a Linux-based fork of Debian OS, you can easily update Kodi on Pi using just a few simple commands.
Update Kodi and Enjoy All The New Features
1. Open the Terminal on your Raspberry Pi and run the below commands one by one. First, it will update the repository and then will install the latest update.
2. If there is any new update then Raspbian will automatically download the latest Kodi and update the existing build. That s it. And if there is no update then you will be prompted with Kodi is on the newest version . Keep in mind, Kodi generally gets the latest Kodi update after some time because of driver compatibility issues so keep patience.