It is challenging to concentrate and focus on the current task when there are constant alerts and frequent phone calls. iOS always has options for blocking unauthorised calls and notifications, but until now there hasn’t been a consolidated feature that allows users to manage warnings from a single, handy location. Your iPhone or iPad can use Focus mode with iOS 15 to reduce distractions and focus on the things that are important to you. Read on to find out what Focus mode is and how to utilise it in iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 so you can dig deep into gaming without distraction, sleep soundly, or binge-watch some of the best TV shows on Netflix.
How to Use Focus Mode in iOS 15 on iPhone and iPad (2022)
Before we begin, let’s learn more about iOS 15‘s Focus mode and how it functions for iPhone and iPad users. Then, depending on your demands, we’ll show you how to construct various custom Focus modes, such as ones for gaming, reading, working, and much more. So let’s start right now!
What Is Focus Mode in iOS 15 and iPadOS 15?
The goal of iOS 15‘s Focus mode is to help you focus on what matters to you by removing all the distractions, such as annoying app notifications and incoming calls. Focus mode can be thought of as an enhanced version of the Do Not Disturb mode that has been a feature of Apple’s mobile operating system for a number of years.
It employs four useful ideas to make sure you don’t miss out on critical warnings and remain focused on your task:
- Silence Notifications: Focus mode silences all the notifications except those you allow.
- Don t Miss Out: All important people are allowed to send notifications without any restrictions so that you can catch up with important things.
- Share a Status: Your Focus status informs apps and people that you have silenced notifications. If people try to message you while Focus mode is turned on, they will see a message saying you have notifications silenced.
- Turn On Automatically: For a simplified experience, iOS 15 automatically turns on your created focus at a set time, location, or while using an app so that you don t have to enable focus mode manually.
What Type of Focus Modes Can You Create on iPhone and iPad?
Apple has added sleep tracking and Do Not Disturb in Focus mode for improved control. Therefore, from within the Focus mode, you may fine-tune DND and sleep tracking in addition to setting a focus for your business or personal duties.
Your needs and the tasks you want to do with the necessary concentration will determine the kinds of focus modes you can build on your iOS 15 smartphone. The focus modes that you can design in iOS 15 are as follows:
- Do Not Disturb
- Custom (enables you to better adjust the Focus mode in iOS 15 as per your needs)
Your customised focus mode is accessible on all of your Apple devices connected to the same iCloud account thanks to seamless syncing. This means that when you enable Focus Mode on your iPhone, it will also be enabled automatically on your iPad, Mac, and even your Apple Watch.
What Sort of Customization Does Focus Mode in iOS 15 Offer?
The fact that Focus mode is totally adjustable is probably its best feature. You can decide whether to allow or prevent any apps from delivering notifications if you ever feel the need to adjust your focus. In addition, while Focus mode is activated, you may also modify the home screen pages, dim the lock screen, and hide notification badges.
Focus mode enables you to prevent apps from seeing your Focus Status for improved control over those apps that have asked to share it. So, if you ever happen to put privacy over everything else, you can take advantage of this essential feature to hide your status. And when a focus becomes unnecessary, you will be able to delete it.
How to Create a New Custom Focus Mode in iOS 15 on iPhone and iPad
Now that you know you can create a focus mode for all sorts of purposes, let s learn how to create a new focus mode in iOS 15.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad and choose Focus.
2. Now, tap on the+ buttonat the top right corner of the screen.
Note: Alternately, you can access Focus modes from the Control Center. Swipe down from the top right and find the Focus tile. After that, long-press and hold the Focus tile to expand, and tap on theNew Focus (+)button.
3. On the next screen, select a focus to get started. You have multiple options to choose from driving, fitness, gaming, or custom. If you want to focus on something else, tap onCustomand then name your focus. For the purpose of this guide, I m going to choose the Custom option. As steps are identical, you can choose any option depending on your needs.
4. Next up, choose the people you want to receive notifications from when the Focus mode is enabled. Simply tap the+contact button and select the preferred contacts from your address book. After that, tapAllow. If you don t want notifications from anyone, choose theAllow Noneoption. Note that you also have the option to allow calls only from favorites or no one. You can tap onCalls Fromand then customize the incoming calls as per your needs.
5. Up next, choose apps you want to get notifications from when the Focus mode is active. Tap on the+ buttonand then select the preferred apps from the list. After that, tap theAllowoption at the bottom. Again, if you don t want to receive alerts from any app, choose theAllow Noneoption. If you wish to receive time-sensitive alerts from the apps that are not on your allowed list, make sure to turn on theTime Sensitivetoggle.
6. Finally, you should see the confirmation screen saying your focus is ready. TapDoneto finish.
Note:By default, iOS shares your focus profiles across devices including Apple Watch, Mac, and iPad linked with the sameiCloudaccount so that you can manage them with ease. However, you can disable this functionality if you no longer want to share your focus profiles across your Apple devices.
Customize Focus Mode in iOS 15 on iPhone and iPad
Once you have created a focus, you can customize it as and when you want to suit your needs better. For instance, you can fine-tune the home screen pages, lock screen, and even hide notification badges when the Focus mode is turned on. So lets take a look at the steps you need to follow to customize a focus mode to your needs:
- Navigate to the Settings app -> Focus and then select a focus.
2. On this screen, you can choose toallow/ disallow notificationsfrom people/ apps, turn off/ on Focus Status, and time-sensitive notifications as per your needs.
3. 3. Notably, you can also customize the home screen and lock screen to ensure they do not distract you when you have a focus turned on. Besides, there is also an option to fine-tune the name and appearance just in case you want to further personalize a Focus.
Customize Home Screen for Specific Focus
If you wish to customize the home screen for a Focus, tapHome Screenlocated under theOptionssection. After that, you have the option tohide the notification badgesso that they do not distract you. Moreover, you can also choose to show only selected home screen pages when Focus mode is enabled.
To show only selected home screen pages during a Focus, turn on theCustom Pagestoggle. After that, choose the home screen pages that you want to show. In the end, make sure to tapDoneto finish.
Customize Lock Screen for Specific Focus
When a Focus is active, you can dim the lock screen so that it won t appear to deviate you from your path. Depending on your needs, you can also show/hide the silenced notifications on the lock screen. SelectLock Screenlocated under theOptionssection and then turn on/offDim Lock ScreenandShow on Lock Screentoggles.
Customize Name and Appearance of a Focus
It s always cool to give a personalized look to your focus so that it remains in line with the trend or for that matter your preference. That s why Apple has added a separate option to let you customize the name and appearance of a focus as and when you wish to amp up the customization game. TapName & Appearanceand then choose a suitable symbol and color for your focus. Be sure to hitDoneto confirm the changes.
With iOS 15 and iPadOS 15,Do Not Disturb has become part of Focus. With the addition of new features like the ability to share focus status and customize the home screen, DND has now become more functional. Plus, you can treat it like any other focus and tweak Do Not Disturb Focus Mode to your liking.
On the other hand, Smart Activation can play a vital role in helping you get the most out of Focus mode. More on this later.
How to Enable/ Disable Focus Mode in iOS 15
I know, you must now be wondering how to enable/ disable focus mode to ward off any distractions. Well, to get it done, you don t need to look anywhere else but the Control Center or the Lock Screen. Yeah, you read that right! So without further ado, let s take a look at both methods:
Turn on Focus Mode Using Control Center
You can turn on focus mode and choose how long it should be active right from the control center of your iOS device. Just follow the steps below:
- To get going, access the control center on your iOS device.
- On iPhone and iPad without a home button: Swipe down from the top right corner of the screen to access Control Center.
- On iPhone and iPad with home button: Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up the control center.
2. After that, tap on theFocusbutton. Do note that if you tap the crescent moon icon, you will instantly enable the Do Not Disturb mode.
3. Next, tap on afocus modeto enable/ disable it.
4. If you want to choose how long a focus should be active, tap on thethree dotsnext to a focus mode. Then, you have three options to choose from:
- For 1 hour: Enable the focus mode for 1 hour.
- Until Tomorrow morning: Enable the focus mode until the next morning. It could be useful for Do Not Disturb or Sleep modes.
- Until I leave this location: Enable a focus mode until you leave a place (it will show a nearby place).
Turn on Focus Mode from Lock Screen
Once you enable a Focus Mode from the Control Center, you will see the icon for that focus on the lock screen just below the clock. You can use it to turn on/ off the Focus Mode or switch to another Focus Mode from the lock screen itself. To learn how it works, follow the steps below:
1. To turn off or change the Focus Mode, long-press and hold on the focus icon under the clock.
2. Then, you will see the same set of Focus Mode options as above on your screen. Pick the Focus Mode you want to switch to, and well, you are done.
How to Enable/Disable Focus Mode in iOS 15 Automatically
You can also choose to enable Focus mode automatically at a set time, location, or while using an app on your iOS 15 or iPadOS 15 devices. If you wish to remain committed to your schedule, Smart Automation could be the ideal way to go.
- On your iPhone or iPad, open Settings -> Focus -> choose your focus.
2. Now, tapthe + buttonto the left ofAdd Schedule or Automation. Next, go ahead and customize the smart activation for your Focus. You can choose to enable it ata specific time, when you arrive at a locationorwhen you open a specific app.
Note:With predefinedFocusprofiles likeWorkout and Fitness, Smart Activationis enabled by default. You can check the status under the Turn on Automatically section and also enable/disable it from there.
Manage Apps That Have Requested to See and Share Your Focus Status
Keeping track of all the apps that have requested to see and share your focus status is pretty straightforward. So, you can control which apps can access your focus status and stop the least important ones. Both in terms of flexibility and privacy, this is a well-thought-out feature.
1. Open theSettings appon your iPhone or iPad, and head over toPrivacy -> Focus.
2. Next, you should see the list of all the apps that have requested access to see and share your Focus Status. Now,turn on/off the toggleright next to a specific app as per your needs.
Allow Phone Calls from Selected People When Focus Mode is Turned On in iOS 15
To ensure you are not disturbed by random phone calls in the middle of an important task, Focus mode also lets you allow/ disallow phone calls. If you don t want any sort of interference, you can completely disallow phone calls. But if you wish to let your friends and family members reach out to you, there is an option to allow phone calls only from favorites.
1. Launch theSettings appon your iPhone or iPad ->Focus-> choose afocus.
2. Now, tap on thePeopletile located under theAllowed Notificationssection.
3. Next, tap on Calls From. After that, you can choose to disallow repeated calls orreceive calls only from Favorites. Bear in mind that a second call from the same person within three minutes will not be silenced.
Delete a Focus Mode in iOS 15 on iPhone and iPad
Should you ever wish to remove a focus mode that is no longer part of your schedule, you can do so from the settings with ease. Follow the steps listed below:
1. On your iPhone or iPad, navigate toSettings -> Focus->select a focus profilethat you want to delete.
2. Next, hit theDelete Focusbutton at the bottom. A popup will appear from the bottom asking you to confirm by tappingDelete Focusagain. Do it and you are good to go!
Tips to Use Focus Mode in iOS 15 Like a Pro
That s pretty much it! Hopefully, you have now got a better insight into how Focus mode works in iOS 15 on your iPhone and iPad. So times when you may wish to concentrate on your important tasks without being distracted by anything, Focus mode will come in handy. Give it a shot if you haveinstalled the iOS 15 developer beta, and I m sure you will come out pretty impressed with it. And, of course, if you ever hit a roadblock, be sure to reach out to us for help.
Moreover, iOS 15 has come up with a plethora of impressive features, including the much-appreciated ability towatch movies together on FaceTime,make a FaceTime call to Android and Windows users, andSafari web extensions. Take a look at the linked guides to learn all about newly added features in iOS 15.